Monroe United Methodist Church
Sunday, September 24, 2017
Shining the light on the hill by connecting with Jesus Christ, connecting with each other, and connecting with the world.

History

A Journey through time…the History of Monroe UMC

 
Monroe United Methodist Church was organized in 1823. The founding “father” of the Church was Nathaniel Sackett –who also founded Monroe. The early Methodists met in Sackett’s home from 1818 – 1823. The first building was a log cabin at what is now 127 Lebanon Street. Later a frame building was erected at the end of Church Street and East Avenue. By the mid-1850’s the membership had grown to over 100 and more space was needed. In 1860 that building was razed and a new brick church was completed in 1861 at the same location.   
 
The tall steeple on the Church was a familiar landmark for many years. Much later, when the water tower was erected next to the church –the Steeple and the Water Tower became Monroe’s official logo. 
 
The present Education Building was added in 1958. In 1969 the tornado that swept through Monroe brought the steeple down and destroyed the building. In 1970 the present Church Building at East Avenue and Lebanon Street was built and occupied. In 1994 Atchley Hall, a multi-purpose fellowship hall and gym with a kitchen and church offices was built where the 1861 Church Building stood.     
 
Today Monroe United Methodist Church is a regional congregation of 500 members from Monroe and the surrounding area. Sunday Worship is at 8:30 and 10:45 – Sunday School is at 9:30 –Children’s Church and a Nursery are provided at 10:45 –throughout the week there are numerous opportunities for discipleship and fellowship. There is a support staff of twelve persons who specialize in music, Christian education, and children’s and youth ministries. 
 
We are thankful for the privilege of being “A Light on The Hill Since 1823.”